Apple has today made a new version of its Swift Playgrounds app available for iPad and Mac, giving budding developers a chance to learn how to create apps for the App Store and Apple’s devices.
The new update is available for download completely free.
Those using Swift Playgrounds on a Mac are likely to notice the most improvements in this release, with Swift Playgrounds 4.1 adding support for building apps for macOS 12.4 and a ton more.
Swift Playgrounds 4.1 introduces new features, new content and bug fixes. New features include:
- Build Mac apps with SwiftUI (requires macOS 12.4 or later)
- Guided walkthroughs teach SwiftUI app building basics
- App Preview shows live updates as you make changes to your app
- Apps built with Swift Playgrounds run and install to the Applications folder
- App Store Connect integration lets you upload your finished app to the App Store (requires Apple Developer Program account)
- Smart, inline code suggestions help you write code quickly and accurately
- Project-wide search finds results across multiple files
- Snippets Library provides hundreds of SwiftUI controls, symbols, and colors
- Swift Package support lets you include publicly available code to enhance your apps
- App Projects make it easy to move projects to Xcode and back
The updated Swift Playgrounds can now be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free.
Over in the world of the iPad, the App Store release notes don’t go into as much detail but do still outline a handful of improvements that those learning to code could make use of.
Swift Playgrounds 4.1 includes bug fixes and the following new content:
- “Keep Going with Apps” helps you understand how data moves throughout SwiftUI apps
- “Animating Shapes” teaches you how to create, modify, and animate shapes
- “Capturing Photos” is an advanced look at creating your own camera
Just like the Mac version of the app, Swift Playgrounds 4.1 for iPad is now available as a free download from the App Store. It’s a great way for people to learn to create apps and could be huge stepping stone towards a new App Store career.
You may also like to check out:
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.
Like this post on Facebook
Park Metropolis Purchasing Centers