10 Things in Tech: Apple Cuts Production
It’s good to see you here. Apple is cutting production of a few products, and we’re explaining how much money Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could owe under Biden’s new tax proposal (it’s a lot).
Let’s dive in.
1. Apple is going to cut production of iPhones and AirPods. According to Nikkei, the tech giant will make fewer AirPods and iPhone SEs next quarter, in anticipation of lower demand brought on by inflation and the crisis in Ukraine.
- Apple told suppliers it intends to reduce production orders for its iPhone SE model by about 20% from what it had previously planned — a cut of about 2 to 3 million units — in the next quarter.
- It has also reduced orders for its AirPods by more than 10 million units in 2022, Nikkei reported.
Everything we know so far.
In other news:
2. Elon Musk said he’s giving “serious thought” to creating his own social media platform. Musk’s comments followed a series of tweets in which he criticized Twitter over its practices concerning free speech. Here’s what you might have missed.
3. An engineer who quit Facebook for TikTok shares the biggest differences between American and Chinese business cultures. Lucas Ou-Yang, a tech lead manager at TikTok, said Chinese tech companies have larger teams, broadcast-style meetings, and more late nights than their American counterparts. Read his guide to navigating the differences.
4. We broke down how much Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could pay under Biden’s new tax plan. The president’s proposal would require the nation’s wealthiest people to pay at least 20% in income tax — and one researcher estimates the top billionaires could owe at least $215 billion. See the full estimate here.
5. How much does Cisco pay its employees? Cisco is on a mission to poach and retain top talent — and it’s shelling out sky-high salaries to do so. Financial disclosures and federal pay data reveal some of its highest-paying roles, which range from the mid-six figures to the millions. Here’s how much Cisco power players can earn in a year.
6. Tesla’s Shanghai Gigafactory will shut down for four days. A surge in COVID-19 cases has triggered a new wave of restrictions across the city, causing the facility, which was responsible for half of Tesla’s global production last year, to pause production. More on that here.
7. A job posting suggests Amazon is going all in on opening fashion stores. The listing shows that the e-commerce giant is planning a rollout of Amazon Style, its apparel store chain, “across the country.” What we know about Amazon’s brick-and-mortar ambitions.
8. Russian developers are launching an Instagram clone called Rossgram. The platform is meant to replace photo-sharing app Instagram, which has been banned from the country — but Russian creators are skeptical of the knockoff. Get the rundown on Rossgram.
Odds and ends:
9. A married couple is heading to space on a Blue Origin rocket today. Sharon and Mark Hagle, who are both 73, are the first married couple to fly to space on a commercial rocket and told us they’ve got plans to fly with SpaceX and Virgin Galactic, too. Read more about their journey to space.
10. Bored? We listed 15 of the funniest things you can ask Siri on an iPhone. Luckily for the easily entertained, Apple has loaded Siri with countless witty responses to certain questions (like, “Do I look fat?”). See our top picks here.
What we’re watching today:
0 Technology Way Americas Group Technology Basic Hr Compliance & Technology Blast Technology Vs Tms Bmw Twinpower Technology Explained California Institute Of Technology Film Computer Technology Background Wallpaper Crosspointe Technology Group Csia 310 Siem Technology David Zhou Technology Dynapack International Technology Corp. Emulsion Technology Companies Erie Institiute Of Technology College Honeywell Technology Abn How Has Technology Harmed Society Ihb603b Built In Bluetooth Technology Information Technology Integration Information Technology System Administrator Certificate Julie Grush Technology Lauran Technology Corp Nj Massachusetts Institute Of Technology Area Minghe Technology Tang Shan Napa Nepa Innovative Technology Pregnancy Latest Technology Printer Technology Cartoons Professional Technology Use R Certificate In Automotive Technology Regulations Environmental Bank Information Technology Sciecne And Technology Entry Program Science And Technology Speech Seagate Technology Cusip Shenyang Ocean Technology Co.Ltd Sintec Optronics Technology Pte Ltd Sixth Wave Technology Sni Technology Westover Tx Southington Schools Technology Department Stone Technology Company Student Centered Technology Strategies Examples Sunrise Instruments Technology Inc. Universities That Specialize In Technology University Technology Office Asu Email Us Bea State Technology Exports Uwb Ultra Wide Band Technology Vanderbilt Computer Technology Program W3hat Is Induction Technology Wearable Technology Healthcare Emr Wearable Technology Speed Hpw To Web Technology Jobs Jacksonville Nc Will Socialized Medicine Disincentivize Technology Wuhan Easy Space Information Technology